Wednesday, June 20, 2007

5/31/2006 - Fuck It, I'm Going to Maui

I have been feeling torn between my responsibility to my 2 unit class and my hunger for adventure and wandering.

Just yesterday I passed up the opportunity to hitch a ride to Seattle and hang out with Greg, but that was for a few reasons, mostly circumstantial. I finally got a chance to talk to my CIA (Companion in Adventure), Amanda and she's convinced that I HAVE to go experience what she's experiencing in Maui, and that I would appreciate it so much. I trust her judgment. we have been CIAs for a long time.

It costs only $150 for a one-way ticket to Maui from Los Angeles. Amanda spends $60/week there, all of which she earns during the week doing various tasks like gardening, or house-painting. She is supposed to call me back in a few hours, because she needs to talk to her friend, Dream (yes. her name is Dream) about having me for a roommate.

What is she doing there? Learning the art of Tantric Living. Eating fresh fruit off of trees. Gardening and playing in the ocean and in caves, dancing under the moonlight. I need to go. I can feel the pull.

Oi vey, but what about this summer class? What about the part-time job, and paying rent, and responsibility? How about that?

I run it by my good friend, Nikola Atanasov, my favorite Macedonian. Nikola is living his dream. He plays flute with unequivocable passion. He is now first chair flute for the Beijing National Orchestra, being paid well, and happier than ever living this great adventure of his.

I tell him about the class, and about my trying to be responsible and finishing my degree. This is what he tells me:

"Well, not that you should or will listen to me absolutely- but I would have no difficulty about picking maui and sailing and doing some tantra...those dont come up so often in life. School you can always go back to."

I bitch and moan a bit. It's only 2 units. TWO units seperating me from my neuroscience degree! and then he tells me that it is the same with him; Nikola still needs 3 units to graduate, as well. he has not officially graduated yet. He laughs about it and says it's a good excuse to get his student visa and come back to the states when he's ready to. I ask him,

Me: "Well what do you think I should do?'

Nikola: "What do you think I think? I'm not there, am I? I saw something better and I took it."

He's totally right. I can't put my life on hold for a class. The class can be put on hold for my life.

Here is a plan: I fly to Maui and learn Tantra with Amanda. And live with Dream. In August, we will return to the mainland by sailboat and found the Worldwide Gypsy Network (Amanda's idea... something about castles in Peru and Thailand). not sure about the WWGN... but the Tantra, and fresh fruit and ocean and sailboat sound great.

So fuck it, I'm going to Maui.

No comments: