Wednesday, June 20, 2007

6/8/2006 - You Know How I said I Was Going to Maui?


Ok, even I didn't really believe myself.

But I just bought a one-way plane ticket about fifteen minutes ago, so I am. I told myself I would talk to Amanda first and read her vibe, and I finally got a hold of her today.

She told me I could stay in an eagle's nest loft above a waterfall where she lives until this next Sunday, after which I have a place to stay until the 26th in exchange for 8 hours of work per week. Then she said she wasn't sure what she wanted to do today, go kite-sailing with two hot boys or go to a goddess retreat. Delicious.

Bjorn is letting me borrow her camping equipment, should the need arise to use it and there are several listings on the bulletin board at the community center in Maui looking for work/trade workers. So I'm set. I'm going to Maui.

I leave this Tuesday morning... and Amanda is going to pick me up at the airport. This will be an adventure to be reckoned with... I haven't even left this continent. I'll probably be broke by the time I get back... but it won't be the first time this has happened. My mom won't be too happy either... but she's my mom, and she'll love me anyway.

Funny thing: I may have accidentally bought my ticket from San Francisco. Normally this would be a problem, but Mike happens to be leaving for San Francisco on Monday, so I have a ride up there if it's necessary. A little added adventure never hurt anyone.

Why am I writing this all down... probably because I'm so damn excited. A waterfall??? On an island??? I can't even imagine. I'm bringing my guitar and amanda has a recorder. I'm bringing one bag full of stuff (leaving the rest here in L.A. for now, my guitar, my laptop and a tent/sleeping pack.

My mom was worried about the difficulties I may encounter, not having any money and all. It's hard to explain to a mother that these sorts of journeys cultivate the wisdom of experience that is never fully understood when you just take your parent's word for it.

Ah. The weather is beautiful out here, cool and overcast. This weekend will be good for selling portraits on the beach. This is how I always wanted to live my life. It is good.

No comments: