Thursday, July 12, 2007

12/13/06 - A Week in the Life of Jo 2.0

a couple things....

first off, I added some pictures to the last blog like I said I would. Check 'em out, they're pretty funny I think.

Second, it's strange, but it's hard for me to write when the most fascinating things are going on. I keep thinking I should write about them, but then all the fascinating stuff gets piled on top of itself and details get lost in the mix. I've had such an interesting week and it's a little unnerving that I probably won't remember most of it... but it's like that joke I make all the time, about how I knew the meaning of life, I just forgot what it was.

So I'll outline what I can remember in hopes that this will at least trigger some memories for later, when I forget most of what I already know.

Monday and Tuesday-
rough days working. Amanda played housewife and cooked soup and we caught up on lots of things. Indulged in the joys of female companionship (chocolate eating... discussing things like self-consciousness and boys unapologetically). I had a bad day on Monday and Amanda brought my roses from the grocery store. I love that girl. If I were a lesbian I'd ask her to marry me. In Hawaii, of course.

Wednesday- took a half day off to meet up with Rob and Amanda at the Boston Science Center to see the Bodyworlds 2 exhibit. Had a truly moving moment attempting to touch a human brain. Learned some things about how my past experiences affect my present inhibitions or lack thereof, and it felt good. I grow every day.

That night, went to a neuro lecture at MIT on imitation-inhibition, empathy, mirror neuron syndrome, and theory of mind in autism. I had forgotten that this was part of why I moved to Boston- because I get to do shit like go to lectures at MIT and Harvard and one of the other hundreds of great institutions of learning in this city. Had some delicious reception treats and super-stimulating conversation with Amanda afterwards. Shared a pitcher of beer with Amanda at the Middle East and talked all the way into the next...

Thursday- ...morning. Then we hopped onto a bus and parted ways at my stop, satiated with good conversation and mutual respect.

In a great lunch conversation with the boss, related some things I'd learned about goal and intent definition in learning behavior, empathy and theory of mind to aspects of my work. Cleaned my room and then slept. Good god it was nice.

Friday- Ali, this kickass girl I met at the Glitch Mob show on my birthday calls and tells me she got a job as a speech pathologist in NYC. She tells me she was thinking about how I live a bit out of the city and had said I wished I could live in the city and be around more people my age, and so she asked if I wanted to take her place at her apartment right on Mass Ave, at the dge of Back Bay.

It costs the same as my current rent in the 'burbs, no lease, just as big, across the street from Whole Foods, recycling, awesome harvard grad student roommate, steps away from the T in every direction, and completely surrounded by people my age... sandwiched between northeastern univ and berklee college of music, with harvard and mit up the street, not to mention the neighborhood is bumpin'... pretty much my most perfect, ideal living situation. Unbelievable.

I go to visit her and see the apartment. Better than I imagined. She moves second week of January, I move in (provided I can afford the move... gotta work out my budget). I am sad I can't hang out with Ali longer in Boston though, she is quite the kickass broad. She takes me to a party in Allston to meet new people and they're fantastic, some of them are fellow Burners. I wonder at how I meet people like Ali that come into your life like a whirlwind, give you an amazing apartment, introduce you to great people, and then run off to NYC.


Saturday- Met up with the boss in the morning to get some work done, and I offer some advice and insight that throws my bos for a loop and he is impressed and appreciative while I am surprised and happy that I finally get the opportunity to throw him for a loop.

Went straight to North End to catch dinner with Paul and co. at Joe Tecci's for his birthday- dressed up Hollywood-style in a beautiful dress, gushing at Ursula about how amazing life is ('if I just think of it, it happens, it's real magic, and it keeps getting better!').

I rode around in a Hummer limo (don't kill me for this... it was not my choice- just another one of many experiences I never thought I would have- I still maintain it is important to 'walk a mile in another person's shoes', so to speak, before passing any judgment- and just as suspected those shoes were obnoxiously large and unreasonably fuel-inefficient... )

Went to Lucky Strikes (near my potentially new neighborhood) and did one of my favorite things- went drunken bowling with friends. Had cosmopolitans with Rob (he ordered them, not me). We asked the girl to make me a drink that she thought reflected who I was... and it tasted daaamn fine, I must say (I believe it was a ginger ale, grenadine and I want to say gin, but honestly was too drunk at that point to take note)

Sunday-Oleg picks Rob and I up from Paul's and drops Rob off at the airport. Rob tells Oleg to 'take good care of me' and I feel honored to be cared for. I was quite hungover, and realized I'd lost BOTH my keys and wallet in last night's drunken frenzy. I felt like it was only proper since I'd just been going on about how perfectly everything happens and how if I just ask for it, the world provides. Seemed only natural for everything to go wrong the next day... I felt lower than I had in a long while.

Oleg is super supportive and comes up with a logical plan of action for handling my lost important things. He loans me $200 until I get my replacement ATM and credit cards.

Nick comes by later that afternoon and once again, proves to be a truly quality human being and friend. Takes me to Home Depot to get my house's spare key duplicated, and I get a beautiful bromeliad plant for my room. We grab some coffee and hit up Newbury Comics, which is always fun. Ate chinese and watched the Last Waltz at Nick's house (best concert DVD ever) and then on the way home listened to Bonnie Prince Billy, my now new very favorite thing for my ears.

There is nothing like beautiful people to make you realize that you're lucky even when you're unlucky... to remind you that things are never as bad as they seem.

Monday- I find my keys on my desk in the office. That morning someone calls me to tell me they've found my wallet and that everything is still in it. Even the cash.

The past few days Oleg's been working with me on my personal budget. As of now I am absolved of all my credit card and collection debt, now transferred to an interest free loan from Oleg. I have a nice balanced budget and invaluable knowledge on how to be smart with my own money.

So. Saying that I am fortunate doesn't even cover it.

Kick-ass job. Awesome boss.

New apartment right in the heart of the city.

Credit card debt absolved.

Learning something new every second of my life.

And friends that exceed my ability to express how grateful I am for them.

And I know no one wants to hear about when things are going well... but 'well' is subjective, and by my definition, not without obstacle. Life is not easy. No, it is every bit of the struggle that it has always been, but one of the thousands of important lessons I learned this year is that a life without struggle... a carefree life, an 'ideal', need-met life (e.g.- Maui life), albeit wonderful in its own way- is not the same thing as a fulfilling life. I am happy. I celebrate it, and unapologetically.

I miss Maui and I'm often cold, sometimes lonely and constantly challenged at work- it's exhausting really... but there's no place or time in the world where I'd rather be than here, now.

No comments: