Thursday, July 12, 2007

7/11/07 - Compulsion

I never really know what any of this is supposed to mean.... what I'm doing, or why.

Sometimes I tell people it's important to be aware of the things that motivate us to act... but to be honest, most of the time I never know where it comes from. I feel a compulsion, and it's so hard to explain that tears come to my eyes if I even think of attempting to.

Chris was telling me about a compulsion he had at work the other day. His boss seemed so troubled that morning, when he handed her some coffee. All day he felt compelled to tell her what he thought of her... about the respect he had for her and what she does for the people around her, and her passion for the work she does. He couldn't stop thinking about it all day, so before leaving he sat down and wrote her a letter, and gave it to her. The next day she took him aside in an effort to explain how much it meant to her, that she was moved to tears. There are no words for these things.

I was listening to him tell me this and I myself felt very moved. It's something I think about all the time, and try to put words to when there are none. It's so beautiful when people are honest with each other. We hold back so much, for fear of standing there naked, vulnerable to the world.

We think we don't know who we are, or how to represent ourselves. We think we are so alone. We think we cannot describe ourselves to each other in a way that could be understood. We think when we 'say', we don't say what we mean, and when we paint, it's never as beautiful as the image in our heads. We struggle to birth reflections of ourselves into this world all the time, and we feel pain when our meticulous efforts fail to reflect the true beauty of this thing inside us.

And all this time, here we are standing, naked under it all. Beautiful. Always. To Everyone.

We are not hidden. We shine through, marvelous accidental.

Listen: these compulsions? Listen and see yourself shine through. I know that if I stay here, eyes open, ears open- I will hear and I will see the difference between Everything Else, and my soul singing to be heard.

But this isn't a task, or a quest, or a journey to overcome obstacles. Even if you don't hear it, even if you don't see it, even if you don't think you know it.... you shine through, anyway. Marvelous accidental.

Someone once said, "Existence does not exist for others. It is of itself, for itself, by itself."

Alan Watts once said, "Contradictory as it may sound, it seems to me that the deepest spiritual experience can arise only in moments of selfishness so complete that it transcends itself."

Damian once said, "Any autobiography is an act of vanity."

And I once thought that compulsion, selfishness, self- consciousness and vanity were things to be frowned upon. Negatives to which surely there existed positive alternatives.

But what is compulsion, if not an act driven by a force that seems larger and more overwhelming than your own notions of logic, reason and etiquette? I thought it was something that had to do with lack of self-control, or of acting without thinking or consideration. But this is only one element of a very multi-faceted relationship. If you look at Chris's story, you realize that someties acting without thought or consideration can manifest itself in ways so thoughtful and considerate that we did not know we were capable of it.

Along the same lines, selflessness is in itself an act of pure selfishness. This is how much language serves its purpose in manners such as these.

Self-consciousness could be described as a condition of ceaseless fascination with who "I am". It is self-consciousness which is often crippling and misleading, often a circus house of distorted mirrors and illusions. But how much would we know, how much would we laugh and understand if we just really tried to look at ourselves? We are constant reflections of each other.

And vanity. The other thing that causes us to think twice before showing ourselves to the world.The other thing that makes us ask 'Well, who am I to say?' or, 'Well, who would really care to look at me?'

For one reason or another I am thinking to myself, whether or not a diamond is hidden will not change its shape, form, beauty or flawlessness. But it can only be brilliant in the sun.

For one reason or another I keep thinking about these things, and about how I thought they meant one thing, and were to be avoided....

... but now I'm starting to realize that things like this: compulsion, selfishness, self-conciousness and vanity... are completely unavoidable, and I have been struggling to overcome them when they themselves are part of who I am.

And not only that, but that these things, while they can be negative, can also be very positive, too. That there is no opposite, and no alternative, because these conditions are balanced within their own true meanings (whatever they are) to help us play this game, bring joy into our lives and others, and to bring a little more brilliance into the world.

Okay then. That is all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Chris was telling me about a compulsion he had at work the other day."

did he aslo tell you that he had a compulsion to jack off on her face? no? he's gay or a liar.

and you're confused. your entry goes round and round until finally even you begin to see your own hypocrisy. (hey, i'm not saying i didn't enjoy it.) i'm not a physician, i'm a lawyer. nonetheless, my advice: get laid already--after all, that's the conclusion of your *real* compulsion.

p.s. then again, you're in boston? i suppose we can't really expect you to be satisfied by the clowns there. best bet is the west coast.

Anonymous said...

hey, i was only joking around with you...forgive me if i seemed 'mean.' :-)

Anonymous said...

That is probably the most beautiful thing I've ever heard! You really have a way with words! That's a gift you should treasure forever.

gemilang119 said...

hey... I was just browsing through the blogs and I came across yours. Love it!

chumly said...

I have ice cream and hug compulsions. Both are good to give and get.

Anonymous said...

I like the references you gave to painting. Nice article very well written and interesting in its thought provoking theme.

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Anonymous said...

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet people, its really really fastidious
piece of writing on building up new webpage.

Also visit my weblog: please click the next post