Wednesday, July 11, 2007

7/27/06 - My Life Since May

you know what happens after you quit your horrible bunny-killing job and hop on an overnight plane to L.A.?

You puppeteer for a music video, and work as a street vendor drawing portraits in venice, and have a gallery show Downtown. At night you dress up like a victorian porcelain doll with your gorgeous transgendered roommate and swing huge bottles of Jack Daniels around, out-'bad-ass'-ing all the black hoodie-wearing electronic junkies at underground noise shows in the industrial district by moshing and battling until you draw blood.

Then, when the time is right, you buy a one-way plane ticket to Maui with the last of your money and end up living in a treehouse in the middle of the rainforest on sacred land at a hidden school of taoist tantra.

You drink psychedelic ayahuasca tea with shamans from the brazilian rainforest in a room with 50 other people, all tripping harder than they've ever tripped in their life. Realizing that they're all really some kind of strange cult, you decide it is your metaphorical duty to run off into the jungle alone to talk to god. The next day you go to the little beach and eat a salad with a naked balding hedonist named LeFleur and watch an 80 year old lady fire-dance wearing nothing but a shell chain around her waist.

You hitchhike to watch friends ignite intimidating fireworks on the fourth of july and go to secret parties held at certain mile markers around the island. You swim with sea turtles in crystal clear water, you surf, snorkel and eat delicious fruits and meet delicious people who feed you raw cacao mixed with orange oil, goji berries, agave nectar and coconut butter.

Then you meet a crazy Russian businessman who, tantalized by your lifestyle, offers you an all expense paid relocation to Boston: an apartment, a car, a 60K/yr salary and periodic months of travelling in exchange for working in his firm. The job: Teaching incredibly wealthy people how to lead a personally fulfilling life.

I think back on the entry I wrote on the first day of this year. Amanda and Rob and the Ducks and I had such a great adventure on New Year's Eve, we knew that it would set the rhythm for the entire year. I couldn't have even imagined. I gotta say, this has been the best year of my life as I remember it, and it only promises to get better. Next new years? Amanda and I are gathering the team for a secret mission.

Does it get better? But of course. Today Amanda flew to Oahu with Plush to kidnap a DJ for the next party- and to watch a movie. I took a leisurely drive around the island after dropping her off, and enjoyed a moment or two of solitude, taking in this gorgeous (GORGEOUS) landscape and listening to music, smoking a cigarette with the windows rolled down... one of my favorite things to do on the mainland, and almost unbearably decadent on the island of Maui. Last year I pushed my limits of pain and sacrifice and realized that not only could I handle it, I could become a better, stronger person from it. Now I am pushing my limits of pleasure. This life is so damn good I can barely stand it.

Phone meeting with Oleg on Friday afternoon. Should know within the end of the week whether or not I'm actually going to Boston... we shall see. Bjorn is convinced the Russian is a devil in my personal mythology, but I always like a little vinegar in my oil. Makes things interesting.

No comments: