Thursday, July 12, 2007

3/22/07 - (Technics SL1200 MK3D) x2 = shit's about to go DOWN

Now I'm really ushering in a new era.

In the last blog I was debating between buying a set of turntables and going back to Maui and I made the (very difficult) decision the other day to do it:

I talked to Bjorn-san last night and we caught up and it was beautiful. I had flashbacks of endless blissed out nights smoking pot and ingesting cyberpunk media in everyway possible from pulsing Venetian Snares until the house shook to hours-long marathons of Lain: Serial Experiments to covering the whole house in wires, snowed out TVs found on the street while blaring the mix that Bjorn and Mike blew up a lot of equipment to make.

Here's a picture of us dressed like Victorian dolls in petticoats before a noise show. Now imagine both of us slinging sizeable bottles of Jack Daniel's, half-bloody and moshing in them. That's how we rolled.

A while ago, I had mentioned to our friend Christopher Robin that I was learning to DJ. He reminded me that Bjorn (my lovely, amazing roommate from L.A., for those of you who don't know) had been looking to sell her turntables for years.. and a few days later I got a call from her so here's what's going on:

We agreed on $500 for the pair of them, and I am MAD excited. This is huge. I'm so happy to buy them from Bjorn and relocate them from Scarff house in L.A. to Westland ay-pee-tee in Boston. They're like old friends, faithfully busting out Aphex Twin and so on for years.

The model: Technics SL-1200 MK3D

And this is what my new babies look like. I've been trying to think of where they'll go in my tiny apartment and decided I'll just shuffle around my little desk and it'll all work out. They're definitely going under Tara, the goddess painted on my tibetan tangka (on the left of the photograph of my room before bookshelves).

She reminds me every day that I see her to feel it all like 'yum' and the three couples in yabyum above her head remind me that she represents everything I learned in tantra school.

It only makes sense to play something as intense and sexy as dubstep under her watchful eyes (all seven of them).

Sweet fucking turntables: check.
Starter collection of heart-breakingly good dubstep: check.
Best teacher in the world: check.

Next on the list: finding a decent mixer.

Well on my way. This is how serious I am. (note to self: making a serious face does not show up on blog)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post... Looks like solid-state memory is finally starting to become more popular. Hopefully we'll start seeing decreasing SSD prices in the near future. $5 32 GB SDs for your Nintendo DS flash card... sounds gooooood.

(Posted by NDSBro for R4i Nintendo DS.)